Friday, June 22, 2012

Nellie's Evolution

We are currently living in an apartment complex that boast this beautiful pool you see in the picture above. The kids and I use the pool almost every day relishing in the fact that we do not have to clean it or treat the water.... That was until yesterday.

I was laying out and reading my new teen fiction novel while my four kids splashed and played with two children who were visiting their great grandfather. These new kids didn't know how to swim so I was doing a lot of watching. I noticed the boy go down and come up sputtering. I got to the edge of the pool just in time to see him scramble near and puke right in the water. YUCK! For those who know me well, you may not believe the next part, but it played just as I am telling you.


I immediately asked the kid if he was alright and told him to get out of the water. I told all of them to get in the baby pool while I cleaned the large pool. I then went to get the longest net and proceeded to clean out the vomit while my oldest daughter warned me to let someone else do it, for fear of me getting germs. After I got it all and hung net outside the fence, I went in and told the staff and asked them to add more shocker to the water. To my surprise the kids were asking when they could get back in. Clearly they were not as grossed out as I was. They continued to play with the children for another hour.

I met the older gentlemen, Mr. Luther, after the vomiting child accidentally hit B. and came to apologize with his grandfather in tow. This older man is a retired trucker who recently had a stroke, just buried his baby brother, and is now a pastor for a small mission church. I learned a lot about this gentleman in the 15 minute conversation we had. I know where he was born, that he is a divorcee who remarried, his anniversary month, that he can no longer use his right side, he misses being able to write with a pen because he had beautiful handwriting.... I learned that he is lonely despite having his new wife and her great grands around him. But his outlook is such that he will serve the Lord for as long as he has left.


It seems if one has the blessing of living a long life, you will change occupations and opinions as you grow older. There are few absolutes in the world. You may have to learn to do things differently for unseen reasons. Adaptation is a must. You may see many people you love pass-away, but as you grow older and trust in God, he gives you wisdom to handle the challenge.

Considering my own life for a moment, I am living and trusting in the Lord in ways that I never had imagined before. Having just celebrated my 3rd 30th, I realize that I have a way to go....The old me never would have cleaned up after a stranger's kid and showed him kindness while doing so. Maybe aging isn't so bad. Maybe it IS a privilege afforded to few.

No comments:

Post a Comment