Wednesday, June 2, 2010




Greener Grass
by Nellie June/ Mebella3

Growing up in the south, I often heard adults around me use the expression, “The grass is greener on the other side." Now, I don't know if this is a common phrase used in other parts of our wondrous United States, but it is very common down here. Usually this expression was thrown at me by a parent when I was claiming that a friend had something better than myself.

”But Dad. Jennifer Jones never has to do chores and her father bought her a new pair of GAP jeans!” I would plead. “She has it so much better than I do...”

“Well, you know what,” (here it comes) My father would retort. “The grass is always greener on the other side for you, huh?!”

Sad to say that fifteen years later, I haven't out grown my lack of contentment. Thirty years old and I still struggle with comparing myself to others. I'm trying to keep time with the Family Jones. Now the toys are bigger and clothes costly.

“Well, how is it that my neighbor has a new Mustang (a black GT), a boat (The Party Barge) and a pool (salt water filtration)? You know, I think that his grass is actually greener than mine and not a dandelion in his yard. What do I have to do to get that...."

While out cutting our lawn today (The Jones' have a gardener) I had an epiphany. I was riding along in an orderly fashion listening to the motor and looking down at the grass (dandelions). Slowly, I moved through the lawn. I could hear the motor get bogged down every time I would come to this certain thick patch. I hopped off of the riding-mower to check it out. Upon closer examination I realized that this was not simply a patch of thick grass, but two strips of fat green, lush, vibrantly colored, lawn vegetation from Heaven!

“Man, if only my whole yard was made up of this stuff. I would be the envy of the neighborhood!” I thought as I stepped further back to admire my little patch of Heaven. “Wait.Hold the phone!(Mr Jones has the new 4G touch screen). This vibrant grass is growing right over my septic tank's drain field. This is poop grass! This grass is so beautiful because it is full of human waste!”

As I got back on my mower and began to think about this beautiful grass that has flourished because it was full of poop, that familiar phrase came back to me. “The grass is greener on the other side.” What if the Jones' really don't have it that great? What if my peers are all show but at the root have been feasting on the septic system of the world? I mean, I know some of them well and I must say a few are full of … poop.”

My generation spends so much time worrying about having the latest car, electronic gadget, or clothes. We want our kids to attend the best schools, live in the best neighborhoods, and often not for their benefit, but often just for appearances. We want the best and we wanted it yesterday (not unlike Veruca Salt). Often we look at our neighbors and think, “Wow. They have it all. What a great life they must have.” Maybe we need to stop and think deeper.

Perhaps a person's grass is only green and not their life. Possibly deep down their life is just a septic mess. You never know. Young guys remember this: The new young hot girl that just moved into the apartment next to you might just be a shell of hotness. She might bring a lot of “mess” with her. Young ladies remember that guy that took you out in the nice car. The one with the nice hair and teeth, who said the right things and wore the right clothes. The guy you went out with because he had the prestigious job... he might just be full of “poop”. Who knows? Let this be a warning to you to investigate a bit deeper and discern what that covetous turf is feasting on.

Certainly people are capable of producing wonderfully green lawns with honest hard work. One can fertilize their yard, aerate, burn and till. When hard work is applied the possibilities are endless. It is amazing what some of the master gardeners I know can produce. Yet, I am reminded by my own experience, that the greenest grass isn't always the cleanest or purest. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. In my yard the grass is greener over the septic. And well, the Jones'.. they are now going through a horrible divorce (wonder if he will sell the Mustang).

1 comment: